Recent Posts

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Designer Dish: Korto Momolu

Korto Momolu
(prononuced cut-toe mo-mo-lu)

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing a designer who holds nothing back in her designs and creates something for everyone, even us girls with curves, Korto Momolu. You may remember Korto from Project Runway season 5 as the runner up but she is far from 2nd best. Learn more about Korto's life, fashion & passion for what she does below:


Me: Can you remember the first piece you ever designed?
Korto Momolu: I made a vest and a skirt....not my best work lol

Me: How was life growing up in Liberia? Ontario?
Korto: Liberia is such a beautiful place. Growing up there was a magical experience. Now that I am older and have not been home in a long time, I hold those memories closer than anything. Canada was really great because of the multicultural population. You see people that are like you everyday, immigrants who went through the same thing you go through.

Me: Growing up, who were some of your idols in the fashion world?
Korto: love Byron Lars and Tracy Reese for paving the way. Valentino and Oscar de la Renta and Donna Karan for being my inspirations.

Me: What made you sign up for Project Runway?
Korto: I was ready for the next level of my career and needed international recognition.

Me: How was life on a reality show?
Korto: It was very crazy, living in a box is never fun but it was what I needed to do to get through the process. When you're not working it's actually rather boring lol!

Me: Biggest regret?
Korto: Letting my emotions get the best of me sometimes and not fighting for my views more is regretful but I would do everything again and finish 2nd because that was my destiny.

Me: Proudest moment?
Korto: Walking down the Bryant Park runway with my daughter Alyse.

Me: What are the 3 essential pieces a lady must have in her wardrobe?
Korto: A great bag, a great fitting party dress, a great pair of well fitted jeans.

Me: If you weren't a designer, what would you be?
Korto: an attorney or a choreographer.

Me: Where can we purchase your clothing & accessories?
Korto: Korto Momolu and Dillards.

Me: What is your fave quote?
Korto: "When you lose it's not over, when you quit it's OVER" - unknown.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Korto on the show and LOVED her designs! She truly makes clothes for women that have a body. Nice interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Korto on the show as well. Her God-given gift in fashion is Fab and I'm excited that she stayed true to self and has made wonderful colorful peices for us curvy women of color to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete